Milk of Magnesia for Constipation
Milk of Magnesia for Constipation has been around forever. My maternal grandmother NEVER used to be without it. It was what she would use for everything from nausea to heartburn to constipation. Milk of Magnesia works by means of a method called oral osmoses, where the medication draws water from surrounding tissues into the intestines in order to let the stool pass more easily. The learned name for Milk of Magnesia is Magnesium Hydroxide.
Milk of Magnesia is available as an OTC (over the counter) medicine that relieves constipation. It is not just good for constipation, but can also be used for heartburn, acid reflux, and indigestion.
Milk of Magnesia can also be used in certain instances as a topical medication or treatment for acne and oily skin. Apply thinly on the affected area. Repeat daily until the treatment is successful. The usual dosage of Milk of Magnesia for Constipation is two to four tablespoons of the liquid once a day for adults and children older 12 years of age. It is not recommended for children under the age of 12. The treatment should work the first time and within 6 hours, depending on the cause of constipation
Do not let the OTC status of Milk of Magnesia fool you. This medication can be pretty dangerous if used differently to what the package insert recommends. Also, do make sure that you use the correct measuring equipment when dispensing Milk of Magnesia for Constipation dosages. Preferably, use actual medicine measures, and NOT household equipment, since these are not accurate and could result in you inadvertently taking incorrect dosages.
There are various side effects that should be heeded regarding this medication. Before using Milk of Magnesia for constipation, it is advisable to try natural treatments methods such as a high fiber diet, drinking more water and regular exercise. In general, it is a good idea to consult your doctor before taking Milk of Magnesia for constipation.
The most common side effect of Milk of Magnesia for Constipation is diarrhea. Diarrhea can sometimes be severe enough to cause dehydration and loss of electrolytes. Consult your doctor if diarrhea persists or becomes unbearable.
It is also imperative that you see your doctor right away, should you experience any of the following symptoms after using Milk of Magnesia for Constipation or whatever other reason you may want to use it for:
- Loss of appetite
- The slowness of movement
- Weak muscles
- Irregular heartbeat
severe allergic reactions such as any skin condition, difficulty breathing, swellings (especially in the facial area). Note that in the case of allergic reactions you should see your doctor right away in order to prevent going into anaphylactic shock. Anaphylactic shock is a severe allergic reaction and means that you are hypersensitive to one or more of the ingredients of your medication, in this case Magnesium Hydroxide. Should this be the case, you will never again be able to use Milk of Magnesia for constipation.
Should there be no bowel movement after trying to treat your constipation with Milk of Magnesia for four consecutive days, then it is advisable to see your doctor for help.
DO NOT use Milk of Magnesia for constipation (or any other purpose) if:
- You have diarrhea – for obvious reasons.
- You have had bowel related surgery – for obvious reasons.
- You are experiencing a high level of magnesium in your blood – for obvious reasons.
- You are experiencing extreme loss of body water – for obvious reasons.
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding – Milk of Magnesia for Constipation can be harmful to unborn babies or nursing babies.
- You are on any type of prescription medicine – Milk of Magnesia for Constipation may interact with the medication.
- You are using any type of over the counter medicine on a regular basis – Milk of Magnesia for Constipation may interact with the medication.
- You use herbal remedies or any other herbal preparations, whether medical or not – Milk of Magnesia for Constipation may interact with one or more of the herbs.
- You are allergic to ANYTHING whatsoever, whether it be medication, food, bee sting or whatever else – being allergic to ANYTHING could be an indication that you will react to Magnesium Chloride.
- You even remotely suspect that you may be experiencing appendicitis – the effect of the Milk of Magnesia for Constipation will aggravate your condition and may cause your appendix to rupture prematurely.
- You have any type of stomach pain – you do not know the cause of the pain, and Milk of Magnesia for Constipation may worsen the situation.
- You have, or suspect that you have any kidney disorder, or if you are on a magnesium-restricted diet – The kidneys are responsible for regulating what is expelled from the body and what stays. Damaged kidneys cannot do this properly, and too much magnesium may result in magnesium toxicity.
- You are experiencing any rectal bleeding of an unknown cause – you do not know the cause of the rectal bleeding, and Milk of Magnesia Constipation may worsen the situation.
- You or any of your related family members have a history of seizures – cases involving seizures after taking Milk of Magnesia for Constipation have been reported to the FDA.
Do not use Milk of Magnesia for if you are on Warfarin or any other such similar drug – the side effects of such a drug may be increased when combined with Magnesium Hydroxide;
Here is a list of drugs of which the effects may be decreased if taken together with Milk of Magnesia. Please be vigilant when taking Milk of Magnesia for constipation if you are on any of these drugs:
- Azole antifungals.
- Cation exchange resins.
- Quinolone antibiotics.
If you are experiencing ANY condition at all that concerns you, it is always better to make sure and consult your doctor before you decide to use Milk of Magnesia for Constipation. Please also note that not all adverse reactions to Milk of Magnesia have been reported. If anything at all concerns you after taking Milk of Magnesia Constipation for your constipation (or any other reason whatsoever) please also see your doctor without delay.
- Milk of Magnesia Constipation Side Effects by Gaynor Borade – Buzzle
- How a Dose of Milk of Magnesia Constipation Can Change Your Life by Newsmax Expert Newsmax